Dimethyl Sulfoxide is a simple small molecule with amazing chemical, biological and physical characteristics. DMSO is the resulting by-product from the manufacture of pulp and paper. It has been used for over 100 years and is harmless when used with the proper precautions.
It is sold as a solvent. DMSO is an amazing substance that has many uses throughout the world. DMSO exhibits very extensive solvent properties. It can be used as an extraction solvent. Substances possessing a strongly polar character are generally easily dissolved in DMSO. The solvent power of DMSO and its power to penetrate the skin should give rise to precautions in handling this product. It is important to avoid direct contact of the skin or mucous membranes especially in case of a solution of chemicals and DMSO. CAUTION: May cause skin irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin, and clothing. Wash thoroughly after handling.
Basic Medical Properties: DMSO is recommended as a topical application to reduce acute swelling due to trauma.
DMSO is a rapidly absorbed skin penetrant. With the ability to carry other substances through membranes it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. DMSO is also a cryoprotective agent that helps protect frozen tissue. Additionally, DMSO is a potent antioxidant, scavenging the highly reactive molecules that contribute to disease and aging, known as free radicals.
It has been found that medications dissolved in DMSO retain their therapeutic activity and their specific properties over a longer period of time. It maintains and multiplies the activity of many drugs. Allergic reactions are diminished by the actions of DMSO.
Other Properties of DMSO
- Reduces pain and swelling
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Forms a water molecule in the body which is easily excreted
- Acts as a free radical scavenger
- May reduce the pain and swelling of arthritis
- Has an odor that can be dissipated with aloe and mint flavor
- May be used for insect bites, acne, neuritis, neuralgia and shingles
- Pyrogen Free, Acetone Free; 99% Pure
Laboratory Tested Solvent
This product is intended for use as a mild solvent only. The choice of the process used in the various applications is the sole responsibility of the user. Please consult with your veterinarian as to the proper use of DMSO.
DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) Liquid is recommended as a topical application to reduce acute swelling due to trauma.
Off-Label Administration and Dosage:
Recommended as a topical application to reduce acute swelling due to trauma.
CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN OR VETERINARIAN BEFORE USING THIS PRODUCT ON A PERSON OR ANIMAL. Any use other than as a solvent is considered off-label use.
DMSO Liquid is to be administered topically to the skin over the affected area.
Dogs - Liberal application should be administered three to four times daily. Total daily dosage should not exceed 20 mL. Total duration of therapy should not exceed 14 days.
Horses - Liberal application should be administered two to three times daily. Total daily dosage should not exceed 100 mL. Total duration of therapy should not exceed 30 days.
Active Ingredients: Dimethyl Sulfoxide: 99% Purity
In general, adverse reactions are local, and while they may prove to be annoying to some patients, they are usually not of a serious nature. Upon topical application, an occasionally animal may develop transient erythema, associated with local burning or smarting. Even when erythema or vesiculation occurs, they are self-limiting reversible states, and not necessarily an indication to discontinue medication. Dryness of the skin and an oyster-like breath odor have been reported. These effects are temporary and are not considered to be of serious consequence. Changes in the refractive index of the lens of the eye and nuclear cataracts have been observed in animals, with the use of this drug. This appears to be related to dosage and duration of therapy.
Precaution and Contraindications:
Contact between DMSO Liquid and the skin should be avoided. Rubber gloves should be worn while applying this drug. Forceps and swabs may be used to facilitate application. If absorbed through the skin, DMSO Liquid will cause odorous breath and unpleasant mouth taste. Mild sedation or drowsiness, sensations of warmth, burning, irritation, itching and mild erythematous localized or generalized dermatitis have been reported in some persons following exposure to DMSO Liquid. Treatment of such side effects is symptomatic. Consult a physician immediately if adverse effects appear.
DMSO Liquid may mask certain disease signs such as seen in fractures, etc.; this does not obviate the need for specific therapy in such conditions.
Since DMSO Liquid effectively alters the biologic membrane, it will in some cases facilitate the systemic absorption of other topically applied drugs and may have a potentiating effect on drugs administered systemically.
DMSO Liquid should be judiciously used when administered in conjunction with other pharmaceutical preparations, especially those affecting the cardiovascular and central nervous systems.
DMSO Liquid may enhance the absorption of other materials into the skin. The veterinarian should make certain that other medications are not present prior to its application.
Keep DMSO Liquid out of the reach of children.
DMSO Liquid is recommended for topical application only. DO NOT ADMINISTER BY ANY OTHER ROUTE.
DMSO Liquid should not be used under occlusive dressings.
DMSO Liquid is contraindicated in horses and dogs intended for breeding purposes.
DMSO Liquid is a potent solvent and may have a deleterious effect on fabrics, plastics and other materials. Care should be taken to prevent physical contact with DMSO Liquid.
DMSO Liquid should not be administered to horses that are to be slaughtered for food.
CAUTION: HYGROSCOPIC. CLOSE CAP TIGHTLY AFTER USE. AVOID FREEZING. DUE TO THE RAPID PENETRATION ABILITY OF DMSO LIQUID, RUBBER GLOVES SHOULD BE WORN WHEN APPLYING THIS PRODUCT.